Reap the Financial Rewards of Tracking Your Organization’s Sustainability
Data-Driven Sustainability™ is embraced by organizations not only for its environmental impact, but also its impact on the bottom line. Reducing resource use, such as electricity, fuel and natural gas, and thereby lowering carbon emissions, often makes business sense for our corporate customers and demonstrates our government customers’ fiscal responsibility.
The data collected by SustainaBase is presented not only in CO2 emissions emitted and measurements such as kilowatts per hour, but also in dollars. As a result, our solution makes it easy for an organization to track how sustainability and other initiatives result in utility and other cost savings. Specifically, a customer organization can:
- Identify Largest Users – Identify its largest users in terms of dollars, and implement strategic investments and strategies to reduce costs as well as CO2s.
- Analyze ROI – Determine whether certain investments in fact lower costs. For example, if a lighting vendor claims that a lighting retrofit will save $X over the next 2 years, data within SustainaBase can help the organization track that claim. As another example, a customer can determine how investing in solar or in a new fleet of electric vehicles impacts both emissions and costs.
- Evaluate Value of Initiatives – Determine whether initiatives such as work from home options or flexible work weeks have an effect on utility and other costs, as well as emissions.
- Track Resource Use – Have greater visibility into company-wide energy and resource use, through data visualization and analysis across multiple buildings and locations on one screen.
- Identify and Fix Costly Errors – Identify easy to fix errors they could not previously see, such as when a city saved close to a million dollars in electricity costs by realizing that the lights were kept on all night at the ball field.
Set the Right Goals and See if Your Organization is On Track to Meet its Goals
Organizations are often excited to make sustainability goals, but begin to encounter problems as time goes on. For example, an organization might tout to its stakeholders, customers or constituents that it will reduce carbon emissions by X% by a certain year, lower fuel use by X% by a certain year, or get a better CDP or other sustainability metric score in the next year. Due to unavailable data, growth, acquisitions, lack of internal communication and other factors, organizations start to encounter problems when they try to track progress towards those goals. Organizations also end up spending a lot of unforeseen money and time manually updating information or hiring consultants to update information necessary to meet their goals.
SustainaBase’s Data-Driven Sustainability™ has helped organizations in these situations. As a result, the customer organization:
- Sets goals that adapt to inevitable changes over time,
- Sees whether initiatives actually result in progress towards the goal on a monthly, quarterly or yearly basis,
- Avoids wasted time and money on initiatives that do not result in progress,
- Avoids having to conduct a GHGI every 3 or 4 years because emissions data is continuously updated,
- Has a centralized location for sustainability data when new offices or locations are opened, and
- Is easily able to communicate its efforts across the organization and to key stakeholders.